Match Reports‎ > ‎

Sallins v Ballykelly

posted 13 Jul 2011, 09:01 by James Lawless
Sallins: 1-15 Ballykelly: 1-7
Match Report by Eoin Beatty
Ballykelly made the trip north of the county to face Sallins last Thursday evening but left empty handed as the home side prevailed 8 point winners as they aim to keep the pressure up on Eadestown at the top of the Tom Cross SFL Division 3.However it was Ballykelly who opened the scoring as corner forward John Forde kicked the ball over the bar inside the opening minute. Sallins then began to find their rhythm hitting three points in the space of 5 minutes. Damien Behan began the rout before Conor Herbert got his name on the scoresheet with an excellent point on the turn. Great pressure from the Sallins forwards prevented the Ballykelly defence clearing the ball away and Damien Behan pointed yet again.
Throughout the course of the evening Ballykelly midfielder Alan Hickey was very accurate with his free kicks, scoring 3 in total, getting his first after 15 minutes. Conor Herbert scored his second point of the game before Fergal Nugent and a free kick from Damien Behan increased Sallins`lead. Alan Hickey yet again scored a point from a placed ball with the outside of his boot. Great work down the touchline from Conor Herbert and a pin-point pass across the face of goals for Fergal Nugent resulted in Nugent going around Ballykelly keeper Eoin O`Neill and slotting the ball into an empty net. Ballykelly wing forward Dean Dempsey registered his first score before Conor Herbert got the final score of the half leaving Sallins 6 points to the good at the interval on a scoreline of 1-7 to 0-4 It took Ballykelly only a mere 15 seconds to get the second period up and running as Dean Dempsey got his second point of the game. However Sallins seemed to be in total control of this game from start to finish and they were to hit another 8 points in the second half with Conor Herbert picking up from where he left off in the first with a point. Alan Hickey made it 3 free kicks from 3 after Pauric Cullen was fouled.  Sallins then hit 5 unanswered points coming from Damien Behan, Paul Moynihan and captain Derek Walsh respectively. Ballykellys response was very good as they went straight down the other end of the pitch and scored 1-1,  with the goal coming from substitute Kevin Donohue and the point coming from another replacement Mikey Behan.
The final two scores of the game came from the home team as Conor Herbert pointed an impressive 45` and Emmet Ralph who came on as a substitute for the Kildare Minors against Dublin the night previous got his name on the scoresheet. Sallins are currently in second place with a game in hand and remain unbeaten. The final score Sallins 1-15 Ballykelly 1-7